ABOUT THE MINISTRY
The Ministry of Local Development was established in accordance to Presidential Decree No. 325 for the year 1999 concerning the formation of the a new government led by Prime Minister Dr. Atef Mohamed Obaid and the appointment of Major General Mostafa Abdelkader, as Minister of Local Development.
The Ministry of Local Development works to achieve the following objectives:
- Coordinate the various efforts with all the different institutions, ministries and organisation that work in the field of developing local communities and local administration units in all governorates.
- Participate with the concerned ministries, governorates and other entities in the development and upgrading of local administration units
- Contribute to the plan of economic and social development in partnership with the governorates
- Cooperating with the governorates through the following:
- Document the the economic and social situation in villages, towns and cities.
- Formulate the necessary projects to improve the level of services in the mentioned areas (drinking water, sanitation, electricity, roads, schools, health units, hygiene).
- Formulate the necessary projects to improve the economic conditions in the mentioned areas and determine the priorities of the projects then determine the feasibility of each project and the duration required for its implementation and funding program.
- Work to control the national priority issue of population growth at the level of each village, a region, a random area and the formulation of programs that have cooperated in achieving this goal
- Collect regional projects and identify appropriate funding sources.
- Raising awareness in the neighborhoods and villages of the importance of popular participation in development projects and maintenance of public utilities.
- Participate in the preparation, qualification and training of leaders and human cadres necessary for the management of local units and follow up their performance and ensure their future.